- 200 gms chicpeas
- 1 big onion chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 2 inch piece ginger chopped
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 pods of black cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns
- 3 cloves
- Heat a pan, roast 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, pepper corns, 2 cardamoms, cumin seeds and cloves.
- Roast it for about 3-4 minutes and grind it into powder.
- Pressure cook chicpeas with three cups of water, a tea bag and stick of cinnamon and a pod of cardamom.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel. Add ginger, bay leaf and green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook it for two more minutes.
- Add chili powder, the ground masala and let it cook in a low flame for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chana, stir well, add salt and let it cook for 10 more minutes till it is a thick gravy.
- Serve hot with bhatura, puris or jeera rice and cucumber raita.